I just read a fascinating article by Hetty Frampton of Bath Spa University about the perception of chavs and teenage pregnancies. I’ve never really considered the way the media directs and portrays one’s class ideologies in such a distinct manner. It’s obvious that media does affect our opinions, but I’d not thought about it in relation to the chav phenomenon before. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t really come across ‘them’ in my everyday life, so it’s only via news and gossip that I hear about the doings of that particular stereotype. This article talks about the depersonalisation and distancing of this class, and the deliberate separation between middle and working class. It was a bit of an eye-opener. I’m sure much more educated people than myself were already well-aware of these issues, but it’s really just made me reconsider how much I actually know about people and their media representations. Whew.
No comments:
Post a Comment